HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
Quantum Field Theory II
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master’s Programme in Theoretical and Computational Methods
-Which module does the course belong to?
TCM300 Theoretical and Computational Methods, Advanced Studies
PAP3002 Particle Physics and Cosmology, Advanced Studies
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
After QFT I has been completed
7. Scope of the course in credits
Prof. Oleg Lebedev
Understanding and practice of advanced concepts of quantum field theory such as renormalization, loop expansion, regularization techniques, anomalies, the Standard Model, CP violation. The student is prepared to contribute to original research in particle physics.
Class attendance is strongly encouraged. Homework is assigned once a week and contributes 25% to the final grade, while the final exam contributes 75%. There are bonus points for in-class activities.
Introductory Particle Physics; Higgs Physics; Supersymmetry; Thermal Field Theory
- Loop calculations and regularizations, renormalization, anomalies
- non-Abelian gauge theories, the Standard Model, CP violation
- effective field theory, flavor and CP problems in the Standard Model
- physics beyond the Standard Model
- M. Peskin and D. Schroeder: An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, Addison-Wesley 1995
- M. Schwartz: Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press 2014
- original research papers
exercise sessions once a week; class activities encouraged with bonus points
1 to 5 (25% homework, 75% final exam, + bonus points)