You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
The Teton range, Wyoming, USA
Studying the dynamic Earth
The Helsinki University Geodynamics Group (HUGG) is lead by Associate Professor David Whipp. We study the basic geodynamic processes involved in deformation of the lithosphere. Our research focuses on quantifying the kinematics and dynamics of tectonic, geomorphic and geodynamic processes using numerical models in combination with field, laboratory and geophysical observations. We have a strong emphasis on the development and use of cutting-edge predictive and interpretative numerical tools that are linked with observations from the field and geochronological, geophysical and remote sensing data. More information on our research areas, tools and projects can be found on the research and publications pages. We also teach courses related to geodynamics and quantitative geology, and provide relevant tutorials on software installation, configuration and use.
HUGG has ongoing and recent collaborations with numerous international researchers and groups. HUGG is also part of the Evolving Continents research community at the University of Helsinki.
Ongoing / recent collaboration
- Jason Barnes, Landscape Analytics LLC, USA
- Chris Beaumont and the Dalhousie Geodynamics Group, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Bodo Bookhagen, University of Postdam, Germany
- Jean Braun, GFZ Potsdam, Germany
- Isabelle Coutand, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Todd Ehlers, University of Tübingen, Germany
- John Gosse, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Ritske Huismans, University of Bergen, Norway
- Nadine McQuarrie, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Mike Murphy, University of Houston, USA
- Konstanze Stübner, University of Tübingen, Germany
- Mike Taylor, University of Kansas, USA
- Doug Burbank, University of California at Santa Barbara, USA
- Kip Hodges, Arizona State University, USA
- Kate Huntington, University of Washington, USA
- Taylor Schildgen, GFZ Potsdam, Germany
Related researchers at the University of Helsinki
- Gregor Hillers (Seismology)
- Emilia Koivisto (Applied geophysics)
- Annakaisa Korja (Tectonics)
- Ilmo Kukkonen (Geothermics)
We're always looking for bright new group members. If you're interested in joining HUGG, check out the available opportunities and contact Prof. Whipp with any questions!
7.12.2016 - Computer cluster expanded!
18.5.2015 - Blog post about the Nepal earthquakes
6.3.2015 - The computer cluster is here!
20.10.14 - HUGG Gitlab server is up!
Connect with us
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- No labels