HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
1. Course title
Climate change now
Climate change now
2. Course code
Aikaisemmat leikkaavat opintojaksot 530379 Ilmastonmuutos nyt, 5 op ja A530379 Avoin yo: Ilmastonmuutos nyt, 2-5 op.
3. Course status: compulsory
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master's Programme in Atmospheric Sciences
-Which module does the course belong to?
- ATM3001 Aerosol Physics, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
- ATM3002 Biogeochemical Cycles, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
- ATM3003 Geophysics of the Hydrosphere, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
- ATM3004 Atmospheric Chemistry and Analysis, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
- ATM3005 Remote Sensing, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
- ATM3006 Meteorology, Advanced Studies (compulsory)
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
4. Course level (first-, second-, third-cycle/EQF levels 6, 7 and 8)
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
(Possible also for Bachelor students)
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
5. Recommended time/stage of studies for completion
6. Term/teaching period when the course will be offered
The course will be lectured every year in the II period.
7. Scope of the course in credits
8. Teacher coordinating the course
9. Course learning outcomes
- look at climate change from many different perspectives and create connections between them as well as look for solutions to the climate challenge in a variety of ways.
- reflect on his or her own role in climate change and apply what has been learned on the course to his or her field of study.
- examine different perspectives, solutions, information sources and the current debate on climate change critically.
10. Course completion methods
The course consists of four contact sessions and online learning material. Students write learning diary and answer to multiple choice questions and exercises of the online learning material. (2 credit points)
In addition to that, for 5 credit points course, students work in small groups and make two project works.
Remote participation is possible.
No prerequisites required. Course is aimed at students of all fields and levels of higher education.
12. Recommended optional studies
13. Course content
1) as a scientific phenomenon (observed changes, the greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, the carbon cycle, climate sensitivity, radiative forcing, feedbacks, emission scenarios and climate models, changes to be expected, uncertainties)
2) impacts (on ecosystems and societies, vulnerability and climate risk)
2) mitigation (carbon footprint, energy system, sustainability transition)
4) as a deep human and societal challenge and how to participate in resolving it.
14. Recommended and required literature
15. Activities and teaching methods in support of learning
Four contact sessions, online learning material, learning diary (for both 2 cr and 5 cr course), as well as assignments and a group project (for 5 cr course only).
16. Assessment practices and criteria, grading scale
2 cr course grading is based on the learning diary.
5 cr course grading is based on the learning diary (50%), assignments (25%) and group project (25%).
17. Teaching language
The course can also be completed in Finnish.