HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
1. Course title
Mikrometeorologian ja hydrologian kenttäkurssi
Fältkurs i mikrometeorologi och hydrologi
Field Course in Micrometeorology and Hydrology
2. Course code
Aikaisemmat leikkaavat opintojaksot 53641 Mikrometeorologian ja hydrologian kenttäkurssi, 4 op.
3. Course status: compulsory/optional
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master's Programme in Atmospheric Sciences
-Which module does the course belong to?
ATM300 Advanced Studies in Atmospheric Sciences
- Study Track in Meteorology (if student chooses Biometeorology -course package)
- Study Track in Aerosol Physics
- Study Track in Biogeochemical Cycles
- Study Track in Geophysics of the Hydrosphere
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
4. Course level (first-, second-, third-cycle/EQF levels 6, 7 and 8)
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
5. Recommended time/stage of studies for completion
Can be taken in the early or later stages of studies. However, it is recommended after the ATM347 Boundary Layer Physics I.
6. Term/teaching period when the course will be offered
The course will be offered every second year in August.
7. Scope of the course in credits
8. Teacher coordinating the course
9. Course learning outcomes
- You will learn to know the methods for hydrological and micrometeorological measurements.
- You will learn how to apply these methods in the field.
- You will learn how to process and analysis the obtained measurements.
10. Course completion methods
Final group report.
- Basics of atmospheric boundary layer physics. Suitable course at the University of Helsinki is ATM347 Boundary Layer Physics I.
- Programming skillls in Matlab/Octave.
- Other courses related to hydrology (ATM334 Measurement Methods in Hydrospheric Geophysics (2020-2023)) and micrometeorology (ATM331 Theory of Micrometeorological Flux Measurements (2020-2023)) may be useful.
12. Recommended optional studies
If you are interested in continuing in the subject courses ATM332 Terrestrial water, carbon and nitrogen cycles (2020-2023) and are recommended.
13. Course content
- Introduction to energy and gas exchange between biosphere and atmosphere.
- Overview of the theory behind of eddy covariance (EC) method.
- EC setup, sensors, methods, data post-processing and gap-filling.
- EddyUH and rawdata post-processing.
- Gas exchange measurements using floating chambers.
- In water measurements with a multiparameter probe.
- Atmospheric measurements with a tethered balloon.
14. Recommended and required literature
- Lecture notes
- Peer reviewed articles
15. Activities and teaching methods in support of learning
Lectures, group work and practical sessions in the field and classroom.
16. Assessment practices and criteria, grading scale
Group report after the end of the course.
17. Teaching language