HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
1. Course title
2. Course code
Aikaisemmat leikkaavat opintojaksot 535041 Turbulenssioppi, 5 op
3. Course status: compulsory/optional
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master's Programme in Atmospheric Sciences
-Which module does the course belong to?
ATM300 Advanced Studies in Atmospheric Sciences
- Study Track in Geophysics of the Hydrosphere
- Study Track in Biogeochemical Cycles
- Study Track in Meteorology
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
4. Course level (first-, second-, third-cycle/EQF levels 6, 7 and 8)
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
5. Recommended time/stage of studies for completion
Can be taken in the early or later stages of studies.
6. Term/teaching period when the course will be offered
The course will be offered every second year in the 1. period.
7. Scope of the course in credits
8. Teacher coordinating the course
9. Course learning outcomes
-Description of the learning outcomes provided to students by the course
- See the competence map (https://flamma.helsinki.fi/content/res/pri/HY350274).
10. Course completion methods
The course will consists of lectures and exercises, and at the end of the course there will be an exam.
- Basics of dynamics of Newtonian fluids. Suitable course at the University of Helsinki is the BSc level course FYS2073 Virtausilmiöt (Fluid Phenomena).
- Basic knowledge on differential calculus (e.g. partial differential equations, tensors, etc).
- Other courses related to time-series analysis (ATM310 Time Series Analysis in Geosciences) may be useful.
12. Recommended optional studies
Recommended optional studies are:
- ATM346 Physics of lakes and rivers (2020-2023);
- ATM347 Boundary Layer Physics I (2020-2023);
- ATM338 Surface Water Waves (2020-2023);
- ATM331 Theory of Micrometeorological Flux Measurements (2020-2023).
13. Course content
- Introduction: the origin and nature of turbulence, methods of analysis, diffusivity of turbulence.
- The statistical description of turbulent flow: the probability density functions, Fourier transforms and characteristic functions, correlation functions and spectra.
- Mean flow equations for momentum and heat: Reynolds equations, Reynolds stress, turbulent heat transfer.
- The dynamics of turbulence: mean and turbulent kinetic energy, vorticity, dynamics of turbulent fluctuations.
- Free shear flows: turbulent wakes, jets and mixing layer.
- Wall-bounded shear flows: flows in pipes and channels, boundary layers.
- Turbulent Spectra and the scales of turbulent motion.
- Examples of turbulent transport in geophysical fluids.
14. Recommended and required literature
- Lecture notes;
- Tennekes, H. & J.L. Lumley, 1972. A First Course in Turbulence. The MIT Press.
15. Activities and teaching methods in support of learning
Weekly lectures and exercises (individual work).
16. Assessment practices and criteria, grading scale
To pass the course, the students need to do 1/3rd of the exercises.
The exercises will contribute to 25% of the overall grade. The rest 75% will be determined by the final exam.
17. Teaching language