HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
1. Course title
High Energy Astrophysics
2. Course code
Aikaisemmat leikkaavat opintojaksot 53833 Suurenergia-astrofysiikka, 5 op
3. Course status: compulsory or optional
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master’s Programme in Particle Physics and Astrophysical Sciences
-Which module does the course belong to?
PAP3001 Advanced Studies in Astrophysical Sciences (optional for Study Track in Astrophysical Sciences)
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
4. Course level (first-, second-, third-cycle/EQF levels 6, 7 and 8)
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
5. Recommended time/stage of studies for completion
After Basic Observational Astronomy course, basic Physics courses.
6. Term/teaching period when the course will be offered
The course may be offered in the autumn term, periods I - II.
The course is offered every second year
7. Scope of the course in credits
8. Teacher coordinating the course
9. Course learning outcomes
The students obtain the knowledge of the emission processes and particle acceleration mechanisms important for high-energy astrophysics. During the practical part, the students will learn how to reduce the modern high-energy observations.
10. Course completion methods
Lectures and exercises. Laboratory work.
Basic observational astronomy.
12. Recommended optional studies
13. Course content
Emission processes. Particle acceleration. Accretion disk. Sources of high energy radiation. High energy instrumentation.
Reduction of the high energy data.
14. Recommended and required literature
Fuvio Melia. High energy Astrophysics.
15. Activities and teaching methods in support of learning
Lectures. Excercises. Discussion of the exercises. Discussion of the book chapters. Laboratory work.
16. Assessment practices and criteria, grading scale
Excercises. Laboratiry test. Theory exam. Grades 1-5.
17. Teaching language