Seminar info and schedule
For the spring of 2018 we'll discuss about different interactions between surface processes and mantle dynamics.
Seminars will take place on Wednesdays at 12:00-13:30 in room D501 of the Exactum (unless otherwise noted).
A tentative schedule of readings is below.
Papers under consideration
Papers to consider
- Braun, J., Robert, X. and Simon‐Labric, T., 2013. Eroding dynamic topography. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(8), pp.1494-1499.
- Burgess, P.M., Gurnis, M. and Moresi, L., 1997. Formation of sequences in the cratonic interior of North America by interaction between mantle, eustatic, and stratigraphic processes. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 109(12), pp.1515-1535.
- Burov, E. and Gerya, T., 2014. Asymmetric three-dimensional topography over mantle plumes. Nature, 513(7516), p.85.
- Chu, R., Leng, W., Helmberger, D.V. and Gurnis, M., 2013. Hidden hotspot track beneath the eastern United States. Nature Geoscience, 6(11), p.963.
- Cloetingh, S., Burov, E. and Francois, T., 2013. Thermo-mechanical controls on intra-plate deformation and the role of plume-folding interactions in continental topography. Gondwana Research, 24(3-4), pp.815-837.
- Cloetingh, S., Tibaldi, A. and Burov, E., 2012. Coupled Deep Earth and surface processes and their impact on geohazards. Global and Planetary Change, 90, pp.1-19.
- Coblentz, D. and Karlstrom, K.E., 2011. Tectonic geomorphometrics of the western United States: Speculations on the surface expression of upper mantle processes. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 12(11).
- Gurnis, M., Mitrovica, J.X., Ritsema, J. and van Heijst, H.J., 2000. Constraining mantle density structure using geological evidence of surface uplift rates: The case of the African superplume. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 1(7).
- Liu, L., 2015. The ups and downs of North America: Evaluating the role of mantle dynamic topography since the Mesozoic. Reviews of Geophysics, 53(3), pp.1022-1049.
- Molin, P., Fubelli, G., Nocentini, M., Sperini, S., Ignat, P., Grecu, F. and Dramis, F., 2012. Interaction of mantle dynamics, crustal tectonics, and surface processes in the topography of the Romanian Carpathians: a geomorphological approach. Global and planetary change, 90, pp.58-72.
- Spasojevic, S., Gurnis, M. and Sutherland, R., 2010. Mantle upwellings above slab graveyards linked to the global geoid lows. Nature Geoscience, 3(6), p.435.
- Stanley, J.R., Flowers, R.M. and Bell, D.R., 2015. Erosion patterns and mantle sources of topographic change across the southern African Plateau derived from the shallow and deep records of kimberlites. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 16(9), pp.3235-3256.