You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
The Teton range, Wyoming, USA
Studying the dynamic Earth
The Helsinki University Geodynamics Group (HUGG) is lead by Assistant Professor David Whipp. We study the basic geodynamic processes involved in deformation of the lithosphere. Our research focuses on quantifying the kinematics and dynamics of tectonic, geomorphic and geodynamic processes using numerical numerical models in combination with field, laboratory and geophysical observations. We have a strong emphasis on the development and use of cutting-edge predictive and interpretative numerical tools that are linked with observations from the field and geochronological, geophysical and remote sensing data. More information on our research areas, tools and projects can be found on the research and publications pages. We also teach courses related to geodynamics and quantitative geology, and provide relevant tutorials on software installation, configuration and use.
HUGG has ongoing and recent collaborations with numerous international researchers and groups. HUGG is also part of the Evolving Continents research community at the University of Helsinki.
Ongoing / planned collaboration
- Chris Beaumont and the Dalhousie Geodynamics Group, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Jean Braun, Joseph Fourier University, France
- Isabelle Coutand, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Todd Ehlers, University of Tübingen, Germany
- John Gosse, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Ritske Huismans, University of Bergen, Norway
- Nadine McQuarrie, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Mike Murphy, University of Houston, USA
- Konstanze Stübner, University of Tübingen, Germany
- Mike Taylor, University of Kansas, USA
- Doug Burbank, University of California at Santa Barbara, USA
- Kip Hodges, Arizona State University, USA
- Kate Huntington, University of Washington, USA
- Taylor Schildgen, University of Potsdam, Germany
Related researchers at the University of Helsinki
We're always looking for bright new group members. If you're interested in joining HUGG, check out the available opportunities and contact Prof. Whipp with any questions!
01.12.13 - 3 year funded Ph.D. project available
Connect with us
- No labels