HUOM! OPINTOJAKSOJEN TIETOJEN TÄYTTÄMISTÄ KOORDINOIVAT KOULUTUSSUUNNITTELIJAT HANNA-MARI PEURALA JA TIINA HASARI
|Table of Contents|
1. Course title
Quantum Field Theory I
2. Course code
3. Course status: optional
-Which degree programme is responsible for the course?
Master’s Programme in Theoretical and Computational Methods
-Which module does the course belong to?
TCM300 Advanced Studies in Theoretical and Computational Methods
PAP300 , Advanced Studies in Particle Physics and Astrophysical Sciences (optional for Study Track in
PAP3002 Particle Physics and Cosmology), Advanced Studies
-Is the course available to students from other degree programmes?
4. Course level (first-, second-, third-cycle/EQF levels 6, 7 and 8)
Master’s level, degree programmes in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine = secondcycle
degree/EQF level 7
Doctoral level = third-cycle (doctoral) degree/EQF level 8
-Does the course belong to basic, intermediate or advanced studies (cf. Government Decree
on University Degrees)?
5. Recommended time/stage of studies for completion
After Quantum Mechanics and Mathematical Methods in Physics have been completed
6. Term/teaching period when the course will be offered
- Autumn term
7. Scope of the course in credits
8. Teacher coordinating the course
Prof. Oleg Lebedev
9. Course learning outcomes
- Understanding of basic concepts and methods of quantum field theory including free scalar and fermion fields, scattering amplitudes and cross sections, elements of quantum electrodynamics and Yukawa model.
10. Course completion methods
Class attendance is strongly encouraged. Homework is assigned once a week and contributes 25% to the final grade, while the final exam contributes 75%. There are bonus points for in-class activities.
Quantum Mechanics IIA,IIB; Mathematical Methods in Physics
12. Recommended optional studies
Introductory Particle Physics; Higgs Physics.