Statistical genetics, spring 2015
Scope, type, prerequisites
5-10 cr, intermediate / advanced studies
If you have already taken this course, do not plan to take Statistical genetics spring 2015. Although the courses are not identical, there will be too much overlapping content in order to regard the credits as non-overlapping.
III period (5 cr option), Wednesday 14-18 (-20 if needed) in computer class C128.
IV period (additional 5 cr option), time schedule negotiable. We discuss about this during the III-period part, and some assignments for these additional credits will be given already during the III-period.
Passing the course and the grade
- Five assignments or assignment sets / home-exercise sets. These will be graded. There will not be an exam.
- You get 1 point from each assignment /assignment set if your performance is excellent, 0.7-0.8 from good performance, 0.5 from moderate, and 0.2 from an acceptable performance.
- Final grade 5 comes from 4.2 assignment points and final grade 1 comes from 2.5 points.
- The spirit of the two first assignment sets, which are probability calculus and basic statistics applied on genetic problems: You submit your own solutions to STAGE-Moodle during the given deadline. Then you will get the correct answers and you are asked to evaluate your own solutions in the face of the corrects answers. You are supposed to write a report from your evaluations, explain why your solution(s) is/are wrong, what is it that you did not understand or take into account, etc. - so you give report on your own learning process. This report will be graded! This means that you can get full points by completely correct solutions (you only state in your report that your solution(s) are correct) but also by giving an excellent report about your learning process.
- The other three assignments (tba, they will be data-analysis, getting familiar with scientific articles, etc.)
The current mainstream of statistical genetics, see here
Basic concepts 1_Inheritance, probability, Hardy-Weinberg.pdf, assignment set 1 included, simulations: http://www.radford.edu/~rsheehy/Gen_flash/popgen/
Basic concepts 2_Selection, mutation, drift.pdf, assignment set 2 included
Assignment 3, 1-3 cr by writing essays. One essay, 1 cr, is about 5 pages text. Below are review-type recent scientific papers. For one essay, you pick one paper and find another paper by yourself (for example on the basis of the original paper´s reference list). The additional paper is a kind of specific example on the the general topic introduced in the original review-paper.
No evidence that selection has been less effective at removing deleterious mutations in Europeans than in Africans.pdf
Assignment 4.docx, 1-2 cr by analysing human population data:
Assignment 6 , (TBA) , 1-2 cr by analysing virus data
Software (installed in C128; you can also install these free programs to your own computer):
Did you forget to register? What to do?