Spatial models in ecology and evolution, spring 2017
- First lecture: 20 January (Friday of the first week of teaching).
- No lecture on 30 January
- 13 March: two lectures (the second in the time slot of the exercise class). We shall have an exercise class on 20 March 14-16 in C129
- No lecture on 7 April
- 24 April: two lectures (the second in the time slot of the exercise class). Last exercise class on 28 April (Friday, in place of the lecture).
Weeks 3-9 and 11-18, Monday and Friday 10-12 in room B322. Two hours of exercise classes every other week (see dates below), plus two computational projects carried out independently.
Easter holiday 13.-19.4.
The exam lasts 2,5 hours. You can use notes, books etc in the exam. Computers are not needed, but may be used with the internet switched off (download necessary files in advance).
The final grade is 80% exam + 20 % computational projects. Course activity (exercise classes and quick tests) decides marginal grades.
Exams: 5 May (Fri) 9.15-12 in B322; 22 May (Mon) 15.15-18 in B119
Sturm-Liouville theory: pdf
Stability analysis in a nonlinear reaction-diffusion model with absorbing boundaries: pdf (optional)
Lemma used for deriving the Fourier transform of a derivative: pdf (optional)
Introduction to discrete-space models: pdf
Did you forget to register? What to do?
- Exercises 1.1-1.5 (discussed on 6 February)
- Exercises 2.1-2.4 (discussed on 13 February)
- Exercises 3.1-3.5 (discussed on 27 February) Solution of 3.3: pdf
- Exercises 4.1-4.5 (discussed on 20 March)
- Exercises 5.1-5.4 (discussed on 27 March) 5.3 sketch of solution
A competition to solve this problem - the winner has been announced
A new competition to solve exercise 4.4(a) together with this: prove or disprove that mutual exclusion is also possible in this model.
This pdf contains the computer projects you can choose from; everyone must have two projects from different sections. Email your choice to me. You can choose the same project as someone else in the course, but then your second choice must be different from that student.
#1 - Iwona, Anna
#2 - Sami, Jyri,
#4 - Anna
#5 - Iwona
#11 - Jyri
Exercise classes are held on the following Mondays: 6, 13, 27 February, 20, 27 March, 10, 24 April
Course feedback can be given at any point during the course. Click here.