Application of statistics in engineering, spring 2009
Associate Professor Snezhana Gocheva-Ilieva,
Plovdiv University "Paisii Hilendarski",
Faculty of mathematics and informatics,
Department of Applied mathematics and modeling
e-mail: snegocheva 'at' yahoo.com
2 cu to be earned through an application of the given methods to data files given by the lecturer.
Tuesday, May 5, 12-14 in room B120
Wednesday, May 6, 12-14 in room B120
Thursday, May 7, 12-14 in room B120
1. Collecting data: retrospective study, observational study and designed experiment. Mechanistic and empirical models.
2. Brief introduction in SPSS. http://evlm.stuba.sk/~partner2/STUDENTBOOK/English/SPSS_CA_1_EN.pdf
3. Introduction in regression empirical models: linear regression. Examples. Solving examples using SPSS.
4. Multiple regression analysis. Examples.
5. Clustering data. Cluster analysis with SPSS: K-Means Cluster Analysis. http://evlm.stuba.sk/databasemenu/studentbook/studentbook.htm
6. Cluster analysis with SPSS: Hierarchical Cluster Analysis. http://evlm.stuba.sk/~partner2/STUDENTBOOK/English/SPSS_CA_3_EN.pdf
7. Example: Classifying parameters in a copper bromide laser.
8. Factor analysis. Basic steps with important statistics. Examples with data of metal vapor lasers.
9. Some techniques for prognosis of experiment with empirical models. Prediction intervals.
Materials to the lecture 1
1. Presentation - file: 1 present.pdf
3. Problems to students (to solve at least 4 examples on regression
analysis) - file: Problems on RA.xls
Materials to the lecture 2
1. Presentation - file: 2 present.pdf
Materials to the lecture 3
1. Presentation - file: 3 present.pdf
1. I.P. Iliev, S. G. Gocheva-Ilieva, D. N. Astadjov, N. P. Denev and N. V. Sabotinov, Statistical analysis of the CuBr laser efficiency improvement, Optics and Laser Technology, vol. 40, issue 4, pp. 641-646, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2007.09.009 .
2. I.P. Iliev, S. G. Gocheva-Ilieva, D. N. Astadjov, N. P. Denev and N. V. Sabotinov, Statistical approach in planning experiments with a copper bromide vapor laser, Quantum Electron., vol. 38, N 5, 436-440, 2008. http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1063-7818/38/5/A04
3. I.P. Iliev and S. G. Gocheva-Ilieva, On the application of the multidimensional statistical techniques for exploring copper bromide vapor laser, The 34th Conference Applications of Mathematics in Engineering and Economics (AMEE'08), June 6 - 12, 2008, Sozopol, CP1067, Applications of Mathematics in Engineering and Economics '34—AMEE '08, edited by M. D. Todorov, American Institute of Physics, 2008, 475-482. http://scitation.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=APCPCS&Volume=1067&Issue=1
4. I.P. Iliev and S. G. Gocheva-Ilieva, Statistical techniques for examining copper bromide laser parameters, Proceedings of Int. Conf. of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics, ICNAAM 2007, September 16-20, 2007, Conference Proceedings of American Institute of Physics (AIP), vol. CP936, pp. 267-270, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2790126, http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007AIPC..936..267I
5. Douglas C. Montgomery, George C. Runger, Applied statistics and probability for engineers, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2002.
6. http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/ Engineering statistics handbook, 3119 pages.
7. Sanford Weisberg, Applied Linear Regression, 3rd ed., Wiley&Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
8. Box, G. E. P., and Draper, N. R., Empirical Model Building and Response Surfaces, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1987.
9. Jerome L. Myers, Arnold D. Well, Research design and statistical analysis, 2nd ed., Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Mahwah, New Jersey, 2003.
10. Sheldon M. Ross, Introduction to probability and statistics for engineers and scientists, 3rd ed., Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, MA, 2004.
11. Thomas P. Ryan, Modern engineering statistics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2007.
12. Alvin C. Rencher, Methods of multivariate analysis, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2002.
13. Paul Mac Berthouex, Linfield C. Brown, Statistics for environmental engineers, 2nd ed., Lewis publishers, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2002.