Please note that from 1.8.2017 one of the supervisors of the thesis has to be a professor.
Graduation as a Master of Science (M.Sc.) from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics involves several stages.
1. Maturity check
Maturity test is a summary of your thesis (usually 1 page) to test your ability to write academic text in the language of your degree (usually English) and indirectly check that you have really written your Master's thesis yourself. The summary is approved by your thesis instructor.
2. Plagiarism recognition system Urkund
Starting from 1.08.2014 every Master's thesis has to be checked for plagiarism through plagiarism recognition system Urkund. You must submit a pdf-version of your thesis to the Urkund e-mail of your supervisor. More information and instructions can be found here: http://blogs.helsinki.fi/alakopsaa/urkund-instructions-for-the-student/?lang=en
3. Master's thesis submission to the electronic archive
According to the decision of the Dean of the Faculty of Science starting 1.8.2012 all the theses have to be saved to the electronic archive https://ethesis.helsinki.fi/repository/handle/123456789/13/submit before thesis is accepted and registered to WebOodi system. Thesis upload is student's own responsibility.
If during the submission you do not allow thesis to be published elsewhere, theses pdf-version can only be used at the local library (only the abstract of the thesis will be available for public use through E-thesis-service).
If you accept publishing agreement, after submission your thesis can be openly found in the Internet using for example Google. Department strongly suggests to do so.
If your thesis was done for some private company or other than the University of Helsinki institution it is advisable to make a separate publishing agreement with that organization.
4. Master's thesis submission, checking and approval
At the Department of Mathematics and Statistics Master's thesis are approved by the degree programmes. The schedule for the coming meetings is updated here.
- A thesis description with an explanation of the proposed grade filled out and signed by the thesis supervisor. The description must contain a statement that the maturity test has been passed. (This form can be found in the bottom of the Tutkielmat-page, in Finnish only)
- Confirmation from the thesis author that he/she has been informed of the proposed grade and the grade that will be considered at the meeting. The form can be found here: Master of Science Thesis announcement from a student
- A recommendation for grade, written by thesis supervisors.
- Confirmation that the thesis has been checked with plagiarism recognition system Urkund.
At least one of the thesis supervisors should be a professor. You should allow at least one month for them to read your thesis, make suggestions and for any corrections that you may need to make.
Thesis grading scale for students studying in the old programme:
- laudatur (l)
- eximia cum laude approbatur (ecl)
- magna cum laude approbatur (mcl)
- cum laude approbatur (c)
- non sine laude approbatur (nsla)
- lubenter approbatur (b)
- approbatur (a)
The author of the thesis can file a complaint if he / she does not agree with the thesis evaluation, but it has to be based on a strong reason.
5. After your thesis has been accepted and evaluated
When your thesis has been accepted you should discuss with your supervisor about the study modules. You should contact the Master's Degree responsible contact person: MasterProgrammes.
You can then apply to graduate through the Faculty Academic Affairs office:http://www.helsinki.fi/facultyofscience/forms/ApplicationMasterofScienceDiploma.pdf
Further information regarding graduation ceremonies at the Faculty of Science can be found here: http://www.helsinki.fi/facultyofscience/studies/graduation-ceremonies.html
- No labels