The mystery of ellipticals - Symposium 4 at EWASS 2013 (Monday-Tuesday, July 8-9th, 2013)
Aim of the Symposium:
- Properties of compact early-type galaxies at z~2 and their evolution with redshift
What are the best current observational constraints on the typical sizes, shapes, masses and velocity dispersions of these
galaxies? How common are they compared to the general z~2 galaxy population? What is known about their evolution towards
the present day? What are the observational constraints on merger rates? What are their progenitors at higher redshift? What
type of galaxies are the local descendants of the compact massive early-type galaxies? Is there a population present day counterparts
and what are their properties?
- Theoretical implications for theories on ETG formation
How did the compact massive galaxies form? What physical mechanisms can explain the observed size growth? Are there alternatives
to minor merging? What are the observable consequences for the different formation scenarios and what are the best observational tests?
What remains of the traditional models for ETG formation (spiral mergers, monolithic collapse)?
Late February: registration is open. For more information see the bottom of this page.
May 31st, 2013: deadline for early registration
May: programme released
July 8-9, 2013: Symposium
6 invited review talks, 25 mins each (IR)
7 invited highlight talks, 20 mins each (IH)
17 contributed talks, 15 mins each
Monday, 8th of July 2013
1. Observations and stellar populations of early-type galaxies at low redshift
Session Chair: Peter Johansson
- 11.45-11.50 Welcome
- 11.50-12.10 Claudia Maraston (IH): "The mysteriously simple stellar populations of elliptical galaxies"
- 12.10-12.35 Daniel Thomas (IR): "The stellar populations of elliptical galaxies"
- 12.35-12.50 Francesco La Barbera: "Revealing the Stellar Population Content in the Outer Halo of Massive Galaxies"
- 12.50-13.05 Esther Marmol-Queralto: "Testing the minor merger scenario: stellar population analysis of the outskirts of nearby massive galaxies"
- 13.05-13.20 Denija Crnojevic: "The Outer Halo of the Nearest Giant Elliptical: A VLT/VIMOS Survey of the Resolved Stellar Populations in Centaurus~A to 85~kpc"
- 14.30-14.45 Anna Ferre-Mateu: "The mysterious properties of local compact massive galaxies: not what we expected"
2. Observations and stellar populations of early-type galaxies at high redshift
Session Chair: Pablo Perez-Gonzalez
- 14.45-15.10 Ignacio Trujillo (IR): "The growing history of massive galaxies"
- 15.10-15.30 Jesse van de Sande (IH): "Stellar kinematics of z~2 galaxies and the inside-out growth of quiescent galaxies"
- 15.30-15.45 Mattia Fumagalli: "How dead are dead galaxies?"
- 15.45-16.00 Ignacio Ferreras: "The progenitors of mergers with massive galaxies at z<1"
16.00-16.30 Coffee break & Poster Session I:
- 16.30-16.45 Carlos Lopez-Sanjuan: "The major merger origin of massive ETGs since z = 2"
- 16.45-17.00 Vivienne Wild: "How much of the red sequence is built through gas-rich major mergers?"
- 17.00-17.15 Elizabeth McGrath: "Quiescent Disks in the Early Universe"
- 17.15-17.30 Caroline Straatman: "The evolution and formation of star forming and quiescent galaxies to z=4 from Z-FOURGE"
- 17.30-17.45 Fernando Buitrago: "Ongoing assembly of massive early-type galaxies in the HUDF12"
- 17.45-18.00 Veronica Strazzullo: "Early-type galaxies in the most dense high-redshift environments: a study in the Cl J1449+0856 cluster at z=2 "
Tuesday, 9th of July 2013
3. Observations and modelling of early-type galaxy dynamics
Session Chair: Francesco Shankar
- 11.45-12.10 Michele Cappellari (IR): "Observations and modelling of early-type galaxy dynamics"
- 12.10-12.30 Chiara Spiniello (IH): "The XLENS Project: Luminous & Dark Matter in massive Early-Type Galaxies"
- 12.30-12.45 Adriana Gargiulo: "Kinematics of high redshift compact early-type galaxies: are they really denser?"
- 12.45-13.00 Sperello di Serego Alighieri: "Do compact ellipticals at z~1-2 also have larger velocity dispersion?"
4. Early-type galaxies in semi-analytic models
Session Chair: Ignacio Trujillo
- 13.00-13.20 Rob Yates (IH): "The chemical evolution of elliptical galaxies: Insights from semi-analytic models"
- 14.30-14.55 Francesco Shankar (IR): "Evolution of spheroids in Semi-Analytic Models of galaxy formation"
- 14.55-15.10 Martin Stringer: "Unravelling mysteries of galaxy size evolution with cosmology & feedback"
5. Early-type galaxies in numerical simulations
Session Chair: Daniel Thomas
- 15.10-15.35 Peter Johansson (IR): "Assembly histories and observational properties of simulated Early-Type Galaxies"
- 15.35-15.50 Elena Ricciardelli: "Structure, dynamics and stellar population characterization of massive virtual galaxies at z=0"
- 15.50-16.05 Rhea-Silvia Remus: "The Dark Halo -- Spheroid Conspiracy and the Origin of Elliptical Galaxies"
16.00-16.30 Coffee break & Poster Session II:
- 16.30-16.50 Ewald Puchwein (IH): "The formation and evolution of central cluster and group galaxies"
- 16.50-17.10 Chervin Laporte (IH): "The Growth in Size and Mass of Cluster Galaxies since z= 2"
6. New/future observing facilities
Session Chair: Michele Cappellari
- 17.10-17.35 Pablo Perez-Gonzalez (IR): "New/future observing facilities and surveys"
- 17.35-17.55 Javier Cenarro (IH): "The Javalambre-PAU Astrophysical Survey: A Low Resolution IFU of the Northern Sky"
- Hugo Ledo: "Tracing early-type galaxy assembly with nuclear stellar disks"
- Ilaria Lonoce: "Star Formation History of z~1 Early-type galaxies"
- Martín López-Corredoira: "The age of extremely red and massive elliptical galaxies at very high redshift"
- Ronald Läsker: "Bottom-heavy initial mass function in a nearby compact L*-galaxy"
- Antonina Marino: "Early-type galaxies across the UV-optical color magnitude diagram"
- Russell Smith: "ESO325-G004: A massive elliptical galaxy with a lightweight IMF", see http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.4983
- Sonia Tamburri: "Scaling relations of high-z Early Type galaxies: dependence on selection criteria"
- Heidi Yli-Kankahila: "Numerical studies of the chemical enrichment in disk galaxy merger remnants"
The Scientific Organizing Committee:
- Peter Johansson (Helsinki, co-chair)
- Thorsten Naab (MPA, co-chair)
- Jeremiah Ostriker (Columbia, Princeton)
- Daniel Thomas (Portsmouth)
- Ignacio Trujillo (IAC, Tenerife)
Registration and Abstract submission:
Participants to this Symposium need to register for the EWASS week via the Registration and Accommodation page.
All participants who wish to present a contribution at this Symposium should submit their abstract via the central
Abstracts page of EWASS 2013. Oral contributions that are not selected due to insufficient time slots, can be presented in poster format.