Course page for Electromagnetic Scattering II – Sähkömagneettinen sironta II
Advanced Course, 5 credits, PAP316, Fall 2018, Period 2
The course Electromagnetic Scattering II offers an introduction and theoretical foundation for elastic electromagnetic scattering by complex random media of particles, in other words, for multiple electromagnetic scattring. As compared to the wavelength, the media can span from a few wavelengths onwards to the scale of thousands of wavelengths. As to the geometry of the media, media composed of both spherical and nonspherical particles are treated. Finally, the course includes practical application of existing multiple-scattering software in both laptop and supercomputing environments to interpret spectroscopic, photometric, and polarimetric observations in astronomy as well as scattering measurements in the laboratory.
Lecturers: Dr. Jesús Escobar-Cerezo, Dr. Maria Gritsevich, Dr. Antti Penttilä, MSc Julia Martikainen, MSc Grigori Fedorets, Prof. Karri Muinonen.
Timetable and contents:
- Mon 29.10. Introduction, history (JE)
- Wed 31.10. Case study: the IAA Cosmic Dust Laboratory at Grañada, Spain (JE)
- Mon 05.11. Preparation and characterization of laboratory samples (JE)
- Wed 07.11. Case study: the single-particle scatterometer at the University of Helsinki (MG)
- Mon 12.11. Case study: FIGIFIGO at the Finnish Geodetic Institute (MG)
- Wed 14.11. Case study: goniometer and spectrometer at the University of Helsinki (AP)
- Mon 19.11. Hands-on: measurements with goniometer and spectrometer (AP)
- Wed 21.11. Case study: backscatterometer (AP)
- Mon 26.11. Ices in laboratory studies (JE)
- Wed 28.11. Spectrometric modeling of asteroid (4) Vesta (JM)
- Mon 03.12. Modeling the dust in the coma and nucleus of comet 67P (KM)
- Wed 05.12. Light scattering measurements: literature review (MG)
- Review by T. Väisänen on Volten et al. (2001), Scattering matrices of mineral aerosol particles at 441.6 nm and 632.8 nm, JGR 106.
- Review by O. Ihalainen on Shkuratov et al. (2002), The Opposition Effect and Negative Polarization of Structural Analogs for Planetary Regoliths, Icarus 159.
- Mon 10.12. Scattering observations of Solar System objects (GF)
- Wed 12.12. Polarimetric observations in remote sensing (JE)
Tilan viimeaikainen toiminta