- Training, reservations and login at the instrument
- IRIS agent on Instruments and Virtual Workstations
- Open IRIS for external users
- Additional functions that makes using IRIS even more convenient
Log in or Register as user in Open IRIS
The system is integrated with University of Helsinki authentication. Users from other institutes must first register as user.
- Browse to HiLIFE Open IRIS portal.
- Click to settings icon on top right to show the "Sign-in / Register" button.
- Click "Sign-in / Register".
- Enter your university email address.
- Click "Login", and you will be directed to UH login page. Registration will be automatic. NOTE: THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE BEEN PRE ADDED TO THE SYSTEM.
- If you are not from University of Helsinki, follow the instructions for external users.
Internet Explorer is not IRIS compatible. This can lead to problems regarding login and using IRIS.
We recommend using other browsers like Chrome, Fire/water Fox
Access based on projects
In Open IRIS the access to resources (e.g. microscopes) is based on active research projects registered in the system. The HiLIFE Light Microscopy (HELMI) and the Electron microscopy (EMBI) platforms implement this approach to make reservation of instruments and service possible with a single account. To be able to book a resource, a user must 1) be a participant in an active research project or have an active research project of her/his own; and 2) have the training for the instrument. Users can register new projects or join existing ones.
The idea of the projects is that the PI and the service provider could track the ongoing projects, ideally from the planning to the end. Therefore the project should not be just a container for multiple simultaneous research projects. Projects are also the basis for billing. To register a project, you will need to know which WBS the expenses will go to.
Register your project in Open IRIS
In order to register a new project, you need to fill in a project form.
- Select tab "Services"
- Click "Submit request" on Core facility form whos services you are going to use. The following instructions are for the LMU and BIU forms.
- NOTE: LMU is located in Viikki and BIU is located in Meilahti
- Give your project a descriptive title.
- If the "Group" selector is empty, specify your research group under "New billing information".
- If the WBS you should use for your project is not available, specify the WBS and the profit center under "New billing information".
- Please give a realistic estimate for the project end date.
- Once you have submitted the form, the service provider staff will review it. Once it has been accepted, the project registration is complete and the project will be granted access to resources. You will receive an email regarding your forms status. Active means your form has been accepted.
Joining a group
To join a group you will need to click on the "Browse" tab and from there select "Groups" and "all" in order to see all groups available. Once this is done use the search function to find your group and apply to it.
Click on the arrow icon to join group.
IRIS will prompt you to confirm that you want to join the selected group.
To view projects in your research group, select the "Dashboard" tab and "Inbox". Toggle on the option "show group related requests" (marked with red circle on the figure below). After doing this you should be able to see all group related projects. You can also see your role in the project (submitter, participant or group member).
You can check the project details (for example the available resources and the project form) by expanding the project line.
Joining a project
Members of a group can see the group's projects, and can request to be added as participant.
- To find your group's projects, see "Viewing projects" above.
- Expand the project line and select "Participants" tab.
- With the "Add user..." selector, search for your email address and click "Add as Participant".
The project owner will get an email noting your request to join a project.
Extending existing projects time
All projects registered in Open IRIS have an end date. To extend projects activity time, you need to click on the arrow icon on your expiring project in the "Inbox" tab. This can only be done by the submitter of the project. Project members can't request more time for projects.
If your project is to expire, the end date will have a red text warning about this. Clicking the "request extension" text will open up the calendar were you can choose a new expire date for your project.
If all went well you should have an additional text informing that the extension has been requested for your project.
Subscribing to instrument availability notifications
Subscribing to instrument notifications allows you to get notifications of freed reservation slots when someone cancels their own reservations.
You can set your preferred time slot parameters, for example: I want to know if there will be 1h slot or longer available that will start in 3 hours or more.
If all the conditions are met, you will be notified.
- In the Scheduler view click the bell icon to subscribe to the instrument availability notifications:
- Set the parameters for your preferred notifications:
Adjusting the parameters on the circled area is what you want to do and should do when subscribing.
Toggling on the 3 other boxes will result you getting spammed with unnecessary details and pointless notifications.