Seminar format and guidelines
Below are some suggestions for how to have a productive, interactive paper discussion seminar. They're not rules, but it helps us all out to follow these tips.
In this paper discussion seminar we will
- Read 1-2 papers each week
- Discuss the overall content of the paper, look at the figures and analyse them, identify the strengths and weaknesses, and learn to “digest” a scientific journal article
- Select one person in advance to lead the discussion each week
The discussion leader should
- Put together 1-2 slides to provide an overview of the paper(s)
- Present slides for all figures in the paper describing only what is shown on the figures
- Guide us through the paper and encourage questions/curiosity
The participants should
- READ THE PAPER!
- Make sure you leave time to read the paper in detail and look up uncertain terms, concepts, etc.
- Come prepared with 2-3 questions, basic or detailed - Many of us will be uncertain about parts of the paper, we can only learn by discussing sources of confusion
- ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!
- Be prepared to actively particpate in the discussion